August 22, 2011
- 20A: *Resolve once and for all (LAY TO REST).
- 38A: *Savings for later in life (NEST EGG).
- 11D: *Like unreliable short-term businesses (FLY-BY-NIGHT).
- 27D: *Do some scheming (HATCH A PLOT).
- 56A: Lyric in a Porter song that ends "Let's fall in love," and a hint to the starts of the starred answers (and 1-Across) (BIRDS DO IT).
[I couldn't find a video of anybody actually performing this song, but I wanted you to hear it anyway.]
- 1A: Sound from a tree (CHIRP). Bonus non-theme theme answer!
- 14A: Flamboyant evangelist __ Semple McPherson (AIMEE). I felt like this is someone I should probably know, but it turns out she was a media celebrity back in the 20s and 30s. Of course there are people from back then who I am familiar with, but I guess my knowledge of flamboyant evangelists is limited.
- 17A: Baseball's Nolan and actress Meg (RYANS). Nolan RYAN is CEO of the Texas Rangers, you know.
- 28A: Arrive after a tough trip (MAKE IT IN). This answer shows up in the cruciverb.com data base only one other time. I think it's a great entry.
- 10D: Italian sandwich (PANINI). PANINI is a fun word to say. I thought the PANINI was just the bread for some reason, but I guess it's the whole sandwich.
- 40D: "... or __ thought" (SO I). If we have to have a partial in the grid, I'm glad it's clued in a way that makes me laugh. For some reason, I picture this phrase being said in a cartoonish way, like the same way someone might say "If that is your real name!"
- 49D: Simpsons neighbor Flanders (NED). One day I'll do a crosswordese entry about all the Simpsons stuff you need to know for puzzles.
Other crosswordese in today's puzzle that we've already covered:
- 16A: Inter __: among others (ALIA).
- 43A: Slender woodwind (OBOE).
- 62A: Rani's garment (SARI).
- 67A: Italian noble family (ESTE).
- 39D: River of Spain (EBRO).
- 47D: "__ Fideles": carol (ADESTE).
Everything — 1A: Sound from a tree (CHIRP); 6A: Range between soprano and tenor (ALTO); 10A: Cpls.' underlings (PFC'S); 14A: Flamboyant evangelist __ Semple McPherson (AIMEE); 15A: Boston Bruins or Chicago Bears, e.g. (TEAM); 16A: Inter __: among others (ALIA); 17A: Baseball's Nolan and actress Meg (RYANS); 18A: Bath towel word (HERS); 19A: Natasha's no (NYET); 20A: *Resolve once and for all (LAY TO REST); 22A: Many an October baby, astrologically (LIBRA); 23A: A __ alfa (AS IN); 24A: Nairobi native (KENYAN); 25A: Satirical Mort (SAHL); 28A: Arrive after a tough trip (MAKE IT IN); 31A: Schoolroom group (CLASS); 33A: Travelers' lodgings (INNS); 34A: Hypotheticals (IFS); 37A: PC key (ALT); 38A: *Savings for later in life (NEST EGG); 41A: Miracle-__: garden brand (GRO); 42A: B'way setting (NYC); 43A: Slender woodwind (OBOE); 44A: Reacted to fireworks (OOHED); 46A: The Beatles' George (HARRISON); 50A: Salt Lake City college team, aptly (UTES); 51A: "Happy I can oblige" ("GLAD TO"); 53A: Cop's route (BEAT); 55A: Lassos (ROPES); 56A: Lyric in a Porter song that ends "Let's fall in love," and a hint to the starts of the starred answers (and 1-Across) (BIRDS DO IT); 61A: "__ well that ends ..." (ALL'S); 62A: Rani's garment (SARI); 63A: Cease-fire (TRUCE); 64A: Coagulate, as blood (CLOT); 65A: Treater's words (ON ME); 66A: Levels, as a building (RAZES); 67A: Italian noble family (ESTE); 68A: Fava or lima (BEAN); 69A: Illegally off-base GIs (AWOLS); 1D: Poet Sandburg (CARL); 2D: Breezy greeting (HIYA); 3D: "__ be wrong, but ..." (I MAY); 4D: Avis offerings (RENTALS); 5D: Cuban cash (PESOS); 6D: Zeus' daughter (ATHENA); 7D: Popular jeans (LEES); 8D: Small fruit pie (TART); 9D: Mantric syllables (OMS); 10D: Italian sandwich (PANINI); 11D: *Like unreliable short-term businesses (FLY-BY-NIGHT); 12D: Olds Cutlass model (CIERA); 13D: The devil (SATAN); 21D: Canyon edge (RIM); 22D: "Come on, we're late" ("LET'S GO"); 24D: Goal in checkers (KING); 25D: Read, as a bar code (SCAN); 26D: Treaty partner (ALLY); 27D: *Do some scheming (HATCH A PLOT); 29D: Flying toys (KITES); 30D: U-turn from WSW (ENE); 32D: Stable sounds (SNORTS); 35D: Available for a date (FREE); 36D: Puts in a lawn the fast way (SODS); 39D: River of Spain (EBRO); 40D: "... or __ thought" (SO I); 45D: Beat in a Western showdown (OUTDRAW); 47D: "__ Fideles": carol (ADESTE); 48D: Conan of "Conan" (O'BRIEN); 49D: Simpsons neighbor Flanders (NED); 51D: Pre-meal blessing (GRACE); 52D: Lounges around (LOLLS); 54D: Stars, in Latin (ASTRA); 56D: Undoing (BANE); 57D: Cookbook writer Rombauer (IRMA); 58D: Greek liqueur (OUZO); 59D: Its cap. is Reykjavik (ICEL.); 60D: Tracy's Trueheart (TESS); 62D: Cry out loud (SOB).