June 1, 2011
Donna S. Levin
- 17A: Abdominoplasty, familiarly (TUMMY TUCK).
- 23A: Pepto-Bismol target (STOMACH ACHE).
- 36A: Bourgeois (MIDDLE CLASS).
- 49A: Lint receptacle? (BELLY BUTTON).
- 59A: Easy A (or where to learn about this puzzle's theme?) (GUT COURSE).
- 30A: Self-help guru Deepak (CHOPRA).
- 2D: European stew (GOULASH).
- 38D: Classical language of India (SANSKRIT).
Some of the cluing really stood out for me too.
- 28A: Poet who wrote of the wasp, "I distrust his waspitality" (NASH).
- 56A: Enjoys surreptitiously, as a smoke (SNEAKS).
- 66A: Salad, at times (SIDE).
- 16A: Ready for use (ON TAP).
- 19A: Salad dressing restriction (NO OIL).
- 6D: Become disenchanted with (SOUR ON).
- 32D: Talks off the cuff (AD LIBS).
- 41D: Prepares (GETS SET).
- 44D: Show enthusiasm for, as an opportunity (LEAP AT).
- 47D: Available for siring (AT STUD).
- 21D: 1960s Borgnine sitcom role (MCHALE). Took me a minute, but it came into focus with a couple crosses in place.
- 35D: Org. that stages an annual June open (USGA). United States Golf Association.
- 52D: Frère of a mère or père (ONCLE). French!
- 57D: Autobahn auto (AUDI). I have seriously got an itch for a new car. I've been driving a mini-van for, hmm, five or six years I guess. And I'm tired of it. I want a zippy little car. One where I don't have to be so concerned about getting the proper angle when I'm trying to park in the stupid parking garage at work. Guess it's probably time for a Budget and Finance Committee meeting here at the PuzzleHouse….
Follow PuzzleGirl on Twitter.]
Everything Else — 9A: Isn't serious (JESTS); 14A: Aloof (COOL); 15A: Lovey-dovey exchange (COOS); 20A: One at the top of the board (LEADER); 22A: Hearing aid? (EAR); 26A: General __ Chicken (TSO'S); 29A: Envy, e.g. (SIN); 33A: Sandra's "Speed" co-star (KEANU); 39A: Anklebone (TALUS); 40A: More than interest (ENGAGE); 43A: Chef's phrase (ALA); 46A: Parts of the hip (ILIA); 48A: From square one (ANEW); 54A: Jeanne d'Arc, e.g.: Abbr. (STE.); 55A: Nimbi (HALOES); 58A: La Scala production (OPERA); 62A: Loses one's temper (RAGES); 63A: Fifth color of el espectro (AZUL); 64A: Stopped working (DIED); 65A: Surgical tube (STENT); 67A: __-bitty (ITTY); 1D: Tread the boards (ACT); 4D: __ mater (ALMA); 5D: Hawaii's "main islands," e.g. (OCTET); 7D: Ad __ (HOC); 8D: Inquire (ASK); 9D: Syndicated columnist Goldberg (JONAH); 10D: First name on an historic WWII bomber (ENOLA); 11D: Zeno's followers (STOICS); 12D: Meditative martial art (TAI CHI); 13D: Bad temper (SPLEEN); 18D: NFL rushing units (YDS.); 22D: List-ending letters (ETC.); 24D: Succeeds (MAKES IT); 25D: "Just __!": "Be right there!" (A SEC); 27D: Polish partner (SPIT); 31D: Dietary guideline letters (RDA); 34D: Tandoori bread (NAN); 37D: Doozy (LULU); 42D: Maa, in "Babe" (EWE); 43D: Detests (ABHORS); 45D: Purport (ALLEGE); 50D: Actress Sophia (LOREN); 51D: You often get a rise out of it (YEAST); 53D: Classical beginning (NEO-); 59D: 57-Down filler (GAS); 61D: Big name in ice cream (EDY).