[Note: This is the syndicated L.A. Times puzzle. It does not appear in the actual newspaper, but is available for free at cruciverb.com.]
- 22A: "The Age of Turbulence" memoirist (ALAN GREENSPAN). [anger]
- 29A: Still in Hollywood (FREEZE FRAME). [fear]
- 32A: Event with a "six metres club" (POLE VAULT). [love]
- 45A: Treaty of Paris conflict, 1763 (THE SEVEN YEARS WAR). [envy]
- 59A: Defense strategy that's not an option in some states (INSANITY PLEA). [pity]
- 71A: Scandalmongers, often (TABLOID PRESS). [pride]
- 83A: Nintendo game that involves rescuing a princess (THE LEGEND OF ZELDA). [glee]
- 92A: "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" performer (BILLY JOEL). [joy]
- 94A: Common cell (MOBILE PHONE). [hope]
- 109A: Conflict, and a hint to unraveling the puzzle's circled letters (MIXED EMOTIONS).
There were no circles in my grid so I'm totally guessing on the theme answers. If I missed any, please let me know in the comments and I'll add them here.
Crosswordese 101 Round-up:
- 40A: Big name in beauty (ESTÉE).
- 57A: Sushi bar supplier (EELER).
- 90A: Yeats's "__ and the Swan" (LEDA).
- 61D: Fed. auditor (GAO).
- 86D: Lemon add-on (-ADE).
- 98D: Siouan tribesmen (OTOES).